Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Your Idiot of the Day for Wednesday

For two days in a row, our Idiot of the Day is from the Voices segment of the Letters to the Editor page.

Regarding "Wrong about the President" (10/10Letters): The economy is better than it's been in many years. Our gas prices are only approaching the gas prices europe has always paid. The writer gets her information from TV and the press, and she believes their liberal bias. Marilyn Crews, Kansas City
Marilyn put down the Kool-Aid. The letter writer you are so quick to dismiss was in response to the letter by Peggy Fry of Olathe, who was our Idiot of the Day on October 5.

I do have to give Marilyn Crews credit for one iota of sense - we paid an artificially deflated price for petrol for many, many years.

But as to her claims that the economy is so good - it took the stock market six years to get back to where it was the day Clinton left office.

The letter-writer she dismisses out of hand as deluded by the "liberal media" stated that she "used to be a middle-class American. Now I'm just plain poor." I think she is probably in a better spot to guage her own economic health than Marilyn Crews. I could be wrong, but...

The letter Ms. Crews dismissed made valid points about health insurance costs, job security and the Pinnochio Presidency. Ms. Crews dismisses the letter writers personal experience as influenced by the "liberal media." Apparently Ms. Crews is getting her news from The Corner, Free Republic Online and Red State.org.

In a world of easily accessible information, many people would be well served to step outside their self-imposed echo-chambers and take a hard look at the world around them and not just dismiss out of hand the people who disagree with them.

I dismiss plenty of people - I regularly pick and Idiot of the Day - but I don't dismiss anyone out-of-hand. I confront their idiocy with analysis and researched facts. And when they stand up to scrutiny, they aren't idiots, even if I disagree.