Thursday, September 28, 2006

Something is Creeping Me Out - (and this time it's not Dick Cheney)

I am no historian, nor am I a theologian. But I am a sentient human being with a top-notch liberal arts education. And I am totally creeped out by what I have seen and heard about the new movie "Jesus Camp." The feeling of unease I felt as the promos for the "Jesus Camp" segment on Dateline NBC got neurons firing.

When I saw those kids with the tape on their mouths and their hands raised toward heaven, I saw a generation that might change the world, but they will create a world that I do not want to live in. And they will be glad to accomodate me.

I did not see devotion to a loving God. I saw a future of blonde headed Christian Taliban. In my mind, what I saw looked eerily like it could have come from a Madrassa.

And then, I started thinking about the history of Christianity itself. When Christianity was young, and by that I mean the Catholic Church was the only game in town; it was a brutal, bloody enterprise. Starting at around 500 A.D., as the dark ages were setting in, the institution of Christianity was corrupt, violent, and dogmatic. Self flagellation was sooooo in, and hair shirts were all the rage. Crusades and Inquisitions would soon find favor as well.

The reign of Catholic Terror lasted a thousand years.

Refresh my memory...How long has it been since Martin Luther nailed his treatise to the church door and sparked the Protestant Revolution?

I dunno - as I said, I am no historian, nor am I a theologian. But comparing timelines - it looks to me like Protestantism is right on schedule.