It's all they have left. The Publicans were all over the dial this morning, and Dick Cheney's expression changed visibly during the one-on-one with Tim Russert on Meet the Press this morning as he was confronted with lie after lie he spun in the wake of September 11, 2001. Tim Russert was respectful and low-key, but he confronted Veep the Creep with video of himself lying his ass off over the last five years, and with every clip his face grew more dour. it was so - schadenfreude - I coulda wept.
Now we come to Condi "We Aren't Safe Yet" Rice.
Let me throw my two cents in on the terrorism issue...before 9/11 there had never been an attack like that anywhere. I think they fuckers got lucky. And the feds control the airlines through the FAA, so by association, the Bush administration is complicit in the terrorist attacks because the security at the airports that allowed the highjackers to get on board with those box-cutters were ultimately under their provence. When the first plane hit the first tower, the USAF jets should have scrambled, but didn't. I live between Fort Leavenworth and Whiteman AFB, and the Missouri National Guard has an installation in Raytown, less than ten miles away. I didn't see a plane in the sky that day. I didn't see a contrail.
The bastards who burned - literally - got lucky. Pure and simple. And a big part of that luck was the incompetence of the Bush administration. They ignored the August 8 briefing. W dismissed Big Dog Bill out-of-hand when he was being briefed by his predecessor and Bill told him that terrorism would be his biggest issue in the coming years. He scoffed. Literally.
There just aren't that many terrorists out there. They are a nuisance. They kill about as many people as mosquitos world-wide in any given year, and that is about how much creedence I give the "terrorist threat."
I will take my chances in the woods, and in the world. Just leave my rights intact, please. I do not fear terrorists. I fear my government.
If the Publicans retain control of congress, a whole lot of sheeple will be living in the country they deserve. But what about the rest of us?
Well, I for one know how to reload ammo. The revolution is coming and it might be televised. So let me leave you with this time tested bit of advice:
Keep your powder dry.