Monday, November 06, 2006

Insufferability alert: I'm feeling a little bit smug about a past post

This blog started in March of 2005 in a fit of pique at the Missouri Legislature and Matt Blunt. In fact, I can guaran-damn-tee you that if you come by here on November 8th, I will already be back on message and working on electing Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon to the governor's mansion in the 2008 general election. He's redeemed the name of Missouri AG after Ashcroft held the office. He can do the same thing for the office of Governor in the post-Blunt era.

It took me a few months to find my meter. In fact, the thing went two full months with no posting. And then I wrote a post called Fifteen Months to the Midterms and something clicked.

Why don't you give it a read and see where I was right and where I was off base.

I was still hoping for civility and a bipartisan alliance of moderates back then. Now I know better. I know that I was quixotic. The battle has been so bruising that I feel like a chump for being so optimistic.

But I did get some things right, too. For instance; I saw stem cells coming a mile away:
And Stem Cells...Embryonic stem cells that are scheduled for destruction should be channeled into research instead. A blastocyst in a cryo-freezer vat of liquid nitrogen has the same potential to turn into life that a cookbook sitting on the shelf has of creating a seven course gourmet meal. And don't use the "playing God" argument with me here...That role was cast when the embryo was created outside the womb. You can't have it both ways.
And how prescient is this?
I don't care what side you are on, you need to be getting your collective act together, because this upcoming election in November 2006 is shaping up to be the most hard-fought and divisive we have yet seen. Definitely the turnout will be higher in many districts for the midterms than it was for the 2004 General.
There are a few more places where I got it right, or almost right. I think I got enough right that I will keep doing this, anyway.