Friday, October 27, 2006

This guy has moral authority

Today I got an email from a friend of mine in Oregon, directing me to a letter to the Editor in the Oregonian. I think it bears repeating here, in it's entirety.
My father was a native Oregonian and served in combat in World War II. I am a native Oregonian and a veteran of the Vietnam "conflict." In fact, I was a U.S. Army combat sniper who, like my father, saw my share of death and injuries on both sides.
I now have two sons receiving recruitment fliers from different branches of the military. While I love my country as much as the next person, I would encourage my sons to do what I didn't do in the 1960s: refuse to go and kill innocent people in other countries in a misguided war just because your leaders tell you to.
George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney -- how many Bronze Stars do you have between you? I have four, and I have four children. You can have the medals back, Mr. Bush, but you can't have my children.
RON ALLEN, Northwest Portland
Well said, Mr. Allen. I have a 23 year old son, and they can't have him, either. Not for this war, anyway.