Friday, October 06, 2006

Everyone needs a chuckle now and again

Click the links and enjoy two - three if my story makes you laugh, too.

My friend the Rabbit is my age, well past 22, but this sounds like something he would do.

And it made a neuron fire. When I was a wild young lass of 16, and in fresh posession of a fake ID, I was known to head off on Friday nights to a local college roadhouse bar about 20 miles from my house and party hearty. Once my mother saw my car in the parking lot and imposed a restiction promptly. She began to record my odometer readings before I left in the evening, and limited me to 3o miles of driving each time I left home.

Not to be detered by details, I went on to see my favorite band and decided to find a solution later. Strong drink inspires many a cockamamie notion, especially among the young.

After the night was over, I was faced with the dilema of getting a '73 Charger home to my driveway without racking up extra miles. (Mom was of the notion that if we were behind the wheel of a hot car, we wouldn't be getting knocked up in the back seat of a beater.) The solution hit me as I was backing out of my parking spot. Drive home in reverse! So I did. All the way. Down two-lane blacktop.

A co-worker of my mothers happened to be up using the restroom as I passed her house and heard the 383-Mopar with the Holley 6-pack and looked out her window to see me craned around, looking over my shoulder and scooting backward down the road about 30 miles per hour.

I got away with it until Monday, when my Mom went to work. She gave me points for creativity, busted me anyway, and revised her tactics. I still evaded them, but she was a worthy opponent.