When confronted with the truth of the National Intelligence Estimate report, i.e. that terrorism is fueled, not quelled by, the war in Iraq, the Bush administration walked up to within spitting-distance of the truth. At least they got closer to the truth than Bush did to Ahmidenijad at the United Nations last week.
By "getting close to the truth" I mean that the White House, through Press Secretary Tony Snow, acknowledged Monday that the war in Iraq was "among several factors that fuel the spread of jihadism," but quickly added that by winning the war, we would dishearten potential terrorists. (I would say that would depend on what measures had to be taken to win, but I have a long view of things, so this administration wouldn't care what I think.)
Of course, the Daily Snow-Job was trying to lay a thick coat of varnish on that truth. They tried to downplay the report, and they tried to understate it's importance. But I have faith that their attempts to recast reality will fall flat this time.
I honestly have faith - faith that the American public is not as lazy and complacent and afraid as I fear; and that they are not as lazy and complacent and afraid as the craven traitors who make up the Publican fear-mongering machine hope they are for just one more election cycle. These people are more interested ion protecting "Bush's legacy" than they are protecting the American people.
They have no ideas, so they trade in fear. They have no record to stand on, so they wrap themselves in the flag. They have no morals so they question the patriotism of anyone who dares question them or their motives and methods.
I have faith that America will see through it all, finally. I have faith that a revolution will take place at the ballot box on November 7th.
But most of all, I have faith that the Publicans will wake up on November 8th wondering why their asses hurt and who took their clothes.