According to a survey conducted by CNN, less than half of Americans feel safer now than they did before the events September 11, 2001. According to the poll, which questioned 1033 persons was carried out by Opinion Research Corporation between August 18-20. The exact methodology used to conduct the survey was not reported (although I have emailed the company and asked about methodology applied in this survey.) The results reported state that 25% feel less safe now, and 32% feel that the safety level of American citizens is about the same as it was at the time of the attacks. The study also revealed that 54% of Americans believe that a terror attack is likely in the near future, and 55% do not believe the federal government would be able to mount an adequate response to a terror attack on American soil.
I have visited this topic before, and linked to the post recently, but I will say it again anyway...When disaster strikes, a response by the National Guard and relief agencies such as the Red Cross is imperative because those who cowboyed up and accepted the responsibility to serve our neighbors by working in the fields that make up your local first responders are often directly affected by the disasters that they are responding to. They have homes and families and ties to the affected community. The first on the scene just might be victims too.
I don't feel safer. I have zero confidence in the ability of BushCrimCo to protect this country and even less confidence that they could handle the after effects in any competent manner at all.
Maybe we should all take that tenent of Mormonism to heart and have a years supply of food laid in.