Sunday, January 01, 2006

My Resolution: Work to make "Plan B" OTC

Normally I am not one for New Years Resolutions. I opt to make my lifestyle modifications on my personal start to the new year, my birthday.

Then yesterday, New Years Eve, my 19 year old daughter and her significant other came to our place on the way to the party they were invited to attend. It seems that they needed "Plan B" because "Plan A" broke. It happens.

I started calling around. All over the place, we ran up against doctors who would not prescribe the "morning after" medications. The one place I found a doctor on duty with whom I had a personal relationship (I worked with him for a couple of years) and I couldn't get past the nurse!!!

It was a holiday weekend, in a metropolitan area of 1.5 million, and no one was dispensing "plan B."

My daughter was at the end of her rope and she was frantic. She has resources, intelligence, insider medical knowledge, and insurance. She has a devoted partner and a mother she can talk to about anything.

But what about the young woman who has been raped? After she has been violated, she is subjected to judgement and perhaps compulsory pregnancy?

My daughter got her Plan B at a major teaching hospital, but what she - we - went through to get it was pure unadulterated bullshit.

My resolution for the New Year is to devote my political energies into seeing that "Plan B" takes it's rightful place among the Over-the-Counter medications that we all can access every day.