Monday, November 21, 2005

Newsprint Fellatio for Governor Blunt

It was totally unbelievable. The governor that is in a three-way tie for least popular governor in the nation was profiled in a "Happy Birthday" front page story by Steve Kraske in the Kansas City Star, and I have not been privy to such a breathless exclamation of love and devotion since Marilyn Monroe airily "sang" the birthday song to John F. Kennedy. One would swear that Mr. Kraske has a man-crush on Governor Blunt, so fawning and over the top was the piece. I'm not sure what it was, but it sure as hell wasn't journalism.

There is plenty going on in this state, and I expected Mr. Kraske to ask some relevant and hard-hitting questions, and demand answers to those questions...There is no dearth of them. People have been writing to the Kansas City Star and taking Blunt to task for the better part of the year, and I believe that Mr. Kraske used to be a Readers Representative. But no hard-hitting questions appeared in the piece. Newsprint fellatio.

But our paper is corporate, a Knight-Ridder cage-liner. This is a republican Governor, extremely unpopular. Read the piece that I linked to and tell me that the "so called liberal media" is not just another rabid-right talking point?