Saturday, September 10, 2005

Out of the Chaos, a Statesman Must Emerge

I am through with politicians. I want a statesman. The future of the nation depends on the emergence of a strong, personable, moderate statesman.

I believe that Hillary Clinton is doing the right thing in calling for a senate investigation into the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. But I fear she may be doing it for the wrong reasons. She has presidential aspirations, but this Democrat wants her about as much as she wants John Kerry '08.

Nonetheless, I encourage a strong, moderate Republican - Hagel maybe? Or Olympia Snow of Maine, Thune of South Dakota, or, dare I say it...the less than moderate Kit Bond of Missouri? This would work on so many levels. First of all, it would show bipartisan cooperation if a group of Senators from both parties stood on the steps of the capital and held a press conference announcing that full accountability will be assigned, and the truth will be told, and this is the end of partisan squabbling. Let the chips fall where they may.

The only thing we know for sure is that there will be plenty of blame to assign. The failures were unprecedented (and unpresidented) in so many ways. Heads need to roll, I'm just willing to sort the evidence and make sure the ones that do are the correct ones. I don't want sacrificial lambs, I want the real culprits. It's about damn time we got the real culprits instead of scapegoats.

Here is what I want to come to pass as a result of all this: I want a return of accountability. I am a medical lab professional. It is my job to take the guesswork out of the doctors job. If I screw up, I could kill someone. If that happened, I would be accountable; professionally, civilly, and criminally. Well, some people in high places screwed up, and a lot of people are dead, and those people in high places who screwed up need to pay a steep penalty, swiftly and surely. I want these people held to the same standard of accountability that I am held to, along with every other medical professional in the country.

I am pleading with all Republican Senators who consider themselves moderates, and who are starting to question the president and his actions; please cross the aisle and work with Senator Clinton on an inquiry. Make it a fair and balanced one that protects no guilty party.

Someone needs to step forward and shed the cloak of the politician and don the mantle of "Statesman." The nation desperately needs a statesman, we are ready for the truth, we are ready for accountability. We are ready to let the grown-ups be in charge again.