"On Wednesday, August 17, tens of thousands of supporters gathered at 1,625 vigils to acknowledge the sacrifices made by Cindy Sheehan, her son, Casey and the more than 1,800 brave American men and women who have given their lives in Iraq—and their moms and families." (From Swing State Project, Democrats: Time to Fight.)
Here in Kansas City, a few hundred people attended the candlelight vigil organized by MoveOn.org held in Mill Creek Park on the Country Club Plaza. Speaking of Cindy Sheehan, Pamela Smith of Independence, whose nephew is in Iraq right now had the following to say: I think she put a face on what we've all been saying for years." Jonathan Clark of Kansas City was quoted as saying "We're hoping this'll provide a catalyst to all the people who want peace."
One lone counter-protester, Joe Quinn of Johnson County, walked (safely and unharassed)through the crowd with a sign that espoused his support of President Bush and the troops. Would a war-protester have been treated with the same respect of opinion at a pro-Bush rally? I tend to think not, especially when I think back a year, to the campaign. Sue Niederer, 55, wore a T-shirt reading "President Bush You Killed My Son" and dared to speak out at a Laura Bush rally, shouting, why weren't the Bush twins serving in Iraq "if it's such a justified war"?
Here was a mother who had lost her son in his war, surrounded by Stepford security moms, whose sons were evidently safe in their beds, yelling "four more years" at her. She was handcuffed and arrested and now faces charges for saying she'd like to shoot Bush. She’s hardly alone. I have ears, I hear what people say. If the Secret Service arrested everyone who wishes the president ill-will, they would have to build a hell of a lot more prisons.
Has Sue Niederer arrived yet in Crawford? If not, why not? If transportation or funds are an issue, I will donate a hundred bucks toward her passage.
Accomodations in Crawford got more comfortable yesterday. One of Bush's neighbors opened up his land to Camp Casey, and now the protesters, who grow in number daily, are within a mile of his house.
Am I alone in thinking that perhaps we have reached the tipping point?
UPDATE: The link on the title of the post was added after the post was published. This was an oversight on my part. Mea Culpa. --Tammy